Laparoscopic pancreatectomy (Whipples surgery) at LifeCare ABS
LifeCare ABS is one of the few surgery centers in India who provide Laparoscopic pancreatectomy (Whipples surgery). Surgical removal of all or part of the pancreas is called pancreatectomy. Pancreatectomy is of various types including pancreaticoduodenectomy (Whipple procedure), distal, segmental and total pancreatectomy. These procedure is used in the management of several types of pancreatic conditions conditions like benign pancreatic tumors, pancreatic cancer, and pancreatitis.
Common symptoms experienced by patients of pancreatic conditions include
- Abnormal weight & appetite loss
- Steatorrhoea & nausea
- Acute abdomenal and back pain
Procedure & its advantage
- Conducted under general anesthesia to minimize anxiety and pain
- Laparoscopic procedure, requires only 3-4 small incisions for the laparoscope and supporting cannula to enter
- Pancreas (full or partial) removed with the help of the cannula and the magnified video image formed by the laparoscope on a video screen
- A short painless procedure conducted within 60-90 minutes, with minimal pain and post surgery scars
- Followed by low post operative pain and quick recovery and return to normal routine
After total pancreatectomy, the body is no longer able to produce its own insulin and pancreatic enzymes. Hence, the patients need to take insulin and enzyme supplements. Further non-diabetic patients becoem diabetic. Efficient insulin and diet management can help in glycemic control.
Contact us today to know more about laparoscopic surgery for pancreatic conditions.