Laparoscopic splenectomy at LifeCare ABS
Effective and easy treatment for Spleen diseases
Surgical procedure to remove the spleen is called Splenectomy . The spleen is a organ located just under your rib cage on the upper left side of the abdomen. The key function of this organ is to fight infections by producing protective antibodies and filter the unneeded material, such as old or damaged blood cells, bacteria etc.
Laparoscopic splenectomy is very effective in treating conditions like
- Ruptured spleen caused by an abdominal injury
- Splenomegaly (enlarged spleen)
- Some blood disorders
- Noncancerous cysts or tumor
- Certain cancers
Procedure & its advantage
- Conducted under general anesthesia to minimize anxiety and pain
- Laparoscopic procedure, requires only 3-4 small incisions for the laparoscope and supporting cannula to enter
- Pancreas (full or partial) removed with the help of the cannula and the magnified video image formed by the laparoscope on a video screen
- A short painless procedure conducted within 60-90 minutes, with minimal pain and post surgery scars
- Followed by low post operative pain and quick recovery and return to normal routine
With removal of spleen, your body becomes vulnerable to serious life-threatening infections. Hence, it is highly recommended that you receive vaccines against pneumonia, influenza, Haemophilus influenza type b (Hib) and meningococci. Preventive antibiotics are also recommended, especially if other medical conditions co-exist, which can increase the risk of serious infections.
Contact us today to know more about laparoscopic surgery for spleen related conditions.